Thursday, February 9, 2012

semester twoooo



So second semester has started yay! 

Two weeks in and I'm already going a little crazy, but what else is new? 

I think part of the problem is that I'm taking four studio classes, and not an academic, this semester. Problem? Well, it'll only get more interesting as midterms and finals come around, but hey. 

I have a puppetmaking class on Monday from 8-1, which is pretty awesome. We make puppets and they actually work sometimes and I'm learning a lot and it's just kind of fantastic, to be honest -- it's just a lot of sawing, drilling, etc which is actually pretty fun, but hard to do when my workshop space is preeeetty much my room. Additionally, the teacher looks like he could have strolled out of a 'This Old House' episode, which just makes everything awesome.

Then there's printmaking, Tuesday 8-1. It's taught by this really fantastic older (and just slightly gay) guy, who has said several times that he's not concerned about us making great art, just learning the processes. Which is great, because even just the processes required for this stuff is craaaazay. There's at least ten steps involved in getting anything done, and with a big class, you really need those five hours to accomplish everything. Also we get to work with crazy chemicals and complicated presses and make pretty things. Singular complaint about this class is that its materials are really fucking expensive. Like...10 sheets of paper? $26. That. And each of the tools is gonna be like...15-20 bucks a pop. YAY NEVER HAVING MONEY AGAIN EVER. 

Visual Language Two -- 'Time' -- we got to pick one of a million different classes for this requirement, and my teacher's name is Jarrett, and he's the scary Asian parent I never had, which is awesome. The class is 'the sequenced narrative' and explores bunches of different ways of storytelling, etc etc etc. And it's pretty awesome -- although Jarrett's got really high standards and is definitely intimidating, he knows what he's doing, and I feel like I've got a lot to learn from this class.

Finally, there's my "Figure in Color" drawing class. which is taught by this fantastic lady who reminds me of Ms. Melito so hardcore. She's always talking about 'following her inspiration' and she's just the best little person ever in the world. I love her and I can't wait for more of this class because it involves more drawing naked people and god i love doing that because people are so damn pretty. 


Also, I suck pretty bad at this 'being at home' thing, and I'm submitting my R.A. application tomorrow, which will be followed by a group interview,  and an individual one. It's wicked competitive, but sophomores as R.A's is totally not unheard of, and I'm seriously motivated to do what I need to do to not be living in Melrose next year. The one snaffoo is that, while they give you a free (single!) room, they charge you 3,000 that you have to put in a meal plan. If I haul ass over the summer and make with lots of working, I might stand a chance (but they have to like me first) -- here's hoping! 

I need to update more so I don't give you crazy blockposts like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment